In-House E-Commerce UX Training
5 Days of Intense Research-Based UX Training Workshops by Baymard, at Your Company Offices
Baymard’s senior UX researchers will come to your company for 5 days to train your team and share the findings from Baymard’s 32,000 hours of large-scale UX research specific for e-commerce sites, and experience from working with clients like Google, Etsy, Office Depot, Sears, Kohl’s, Nike, John Lewis, Carnival, T-mobile, Overstock.com, The North Face, etc.
The UX training will be “hands-on” where your team will be working on applying all findings to your own site. This will not only anchor UX knowledge in your organization, but also make the workshop ideally suited to be a driver for identifying and prioritizing UX changes in your organization.
The in-house workshop is a sensible alternative to Baymard’s public UX training if your company wants something private, wants to generate momentum for kick-starting a UX project, or wants to instill a stronger UX mindset in the organization.
Compared to public workshops, an in-house workshop is also cheaper if you plan on having 4 or more employees attend.
Empower Your Organization With In-Depth Research
The goals for the 5 day In-House UX Workshop is to:
- Share the condensed findings of Baymard Institute’s 32,000 hours of large-scale e-commerce UX research, showing exactly how and why users interpret and misinterpret e-commerce interfaces.
- Share specific UX design patterns that work, and discuss why those designs work well, by studying ‘State of the Art’ e-commerce UX designs (chosen among Baymard’s 24,000+ categorized ‘best- and worst-practice’ examples from leading e-commerce sites).
- Solidify the internal UX mindset at your company among your UXers, and qualify the UX mindset in other parts of the organization (e.g., among product managers, developers, designers, or web content creators), by providing a deep understanding of user behavior that can act as a framework for your company’s UX thinking going forward.
- Kick-start specific UX and feature redesigns with research-based input for change, all of which is developed and anchored in your organization, and facilitated by Baymard.
- Fast-track e-commerce UX knowledge in new teams and organizations.
- Develop a team of ‘Certified E-Commerce UX Professionals’. All attendees participating in a UX training workshop can opt for taking an optional exam. Anyone who passes the exams for all 5 topics will earn the certification (more on certification).
Note that at these workshops we will not work with “fun ideas & inspiration found at various places on the internet” but only work with verified design patterns that have consistently shown to perform well during years of usability testing of the world’s leading e-commerce sites.
The 5 Workshop Days: Topics Covered
The 5 workshop days are organized into 5 different themes, each of which represent a core pillar of the user’s online shopping experience.
- Homepage & Category Navigation: design of the homepage, the main navigation, drop-down menus, category and sub-category pages, the overall site taxonomy, site-wide navigation, product listing pages, filtering and sorting tools, list item design, etc. (see the full topic list)
- Search Experience: how users construct product-related search queries, the type of search queries the search engine supports, how product data is searched, predictive autocomplete suggestions, user guidance on partial matches, “No results” pages, search results layouts and features, faceted search logic, etc. (see the full topic list)
- Product Pages: the design and usability of product page layouts, product descriptions, product variations, image gallery UIs, product image types, the “Add to Cart” button and its logic, customer reviews, cross- and up-sells, cross-navigation, etc. (see the full topic list)
- Checkout Process: the entire checkout flow, including the shopping cart, account creation, guest checkout, all form fields, field descriptions and labels, shipping methods, 3rd party payment methods, credit card fields, error messages, order reviews, accordion checkouts, number of steps and their sequence, etc. (see the full topic list)
- Mobile E-commerce: how to design a user-friendly mobile e-commerce experience, mobile-specific limitations and optimizations, main navigation design for mobile, requirements for mobile product listing designs, product details pages, cart, checkout flow, landscape mode, responsive site deviations from desktop, etc. (see the full topic list)
The “1 day = 1 theme” approach means that all attendees won’t necessarily have to attend all 5 days.
An in-house workshop includes a 12 month complimentary access to the ‘Large’ Baymard Premium plan, which also gives you 6 follow-up Q&A sessions with Baymard’s research team after the workshop (normally $3,000)
A ‘Hands-On Approach’ to Learning
The topics and research findings presented are mixed with a “hands-on” approach where, through multiple group exercise sessions throughout each day, your employees will work on applying the UX research findings directly to your e-commerce site.
This “hands-on” training framework is used to instill both the internal discussion and prioritization that emerge as new UX design changes are made, and to better anchor knowledge in the organization (through “learning by doing”).
As part of the UX training workshop your company will therefore also end up with several concrete re-design proposals from your own teams.
Pricing for 1 full week of training is USD 26,000.
The price includes:
- A senior Baymard UX researcher at your offices for all 5 workshop days
- All Baymard’s travel time
- All Baymard’s airfare and hotel expenses anywhere in the US or Europe (outside a small extra travel fee may apply).
- All of Baymard’s workshop preparation
- All course material
- And a 12 month complimentary access to the ‘Large’ Baymard Premium plan, which include 6 follow-up Q&A sessions with Baymard’s research team (normally $3,000)
Pricing doesn’t include local sales tax (if applicable) and assumes that the workshop is to be held at a location provided and facilitated by your company (typically your company offices).
Price Per Person
The workshop is limited to 12 attendees per day to ensure the quality of the hands-on sessions. This corresponds to a training cost of $433 per person for a full day of in-house training. (If needing training for more than 12, reach out for a quote on a workshop with 2 Baymard facilitators.)
Compared to Baymard’s public training workshops, an in-house workshop will often be cheaper if there are just 4 people from your company attending the workshop, when factoring in the workdays otherwise lost on travel time, along with hotel and flight expenses, for your employees.
Schedule a meeting to discuss your workshop options by sending an e-mail or calling:
email@example.com · USA: (415) 315-9567 · Europe: +45 4096 8188
Need to discuss this internally? Download the PDF In-House E-Commerce UX Training Workshops.pdf
Baymard Institute’s research is used by:
Baymard’s research is used by more than 3,000 e-commerce companies, researchers, and UX designers, from 80+ countries, and includes 71% of all Fortune 500 companies within e-commerce, including:
“The training was worth every penny and kudos to Christian and Lauryn for doing such a great job. My mind was definitely blown.”
“I wanted to begin by saying how incredibly impressed I have been all this week with both the degree/depth of content shared on UX/UI best practices for eCommerce experiences as well as specifically your presentation skills. This has by far been one of the most valuable conferences/workshops I have ever attended in my professional career.”
“We've been consuming the Baymard Institute reports for a while but the in-house workshop was really the thing that connected all the dots around ecommerce UX together for us. Now our entire team has a common base of understanding, a language, and clear quantified evidence of the importance of common UX guidelines and pitfalls. Reading a report is one thing but actually forcing yourself to apply findings on a real world case was the greatest takeaway from the workshop. UX is often an tricky science subject to a lot of emotional bias and gut feeling. Not so much anymore.”
“Truly a great learning experience about almost every aspect of eCommerce and the steps you need to take to improve the shopping experience for your users. Everyone working with eCommerce should attend this course. Absolutely worth the investment!”
“Baymard's training provides the proper language and sound evidence to understand what it mean to create a truly usable interface in the ecommerce business.”
“This is without a doubt the most important eCommerce training I’ve ever done. Knowing the right approach for converting the average user puts us massively ahead of the competition.”
“The workshop with Christian provides a great overview of the research Baymard has done in the past years. It pulls it all together perfectly and increases the value of Baymard Pro by magnitudes. If you are considering Pro and you want to come up to speed in no time, book the workshop along with it.”
“A great, informative and impactful weeklong workshop with Baymard. We left with many actionable insights into how to improve overall user experience on our site. Our team now feels confident in their ability to identify and solve issues on their own.”
“Among the best experiences I've had in any training or conference. The attitude was one of helping us improve our sites and not just making a profit. As attendees we were treated very well and given top notch information to work with. Both Christian and Lauryn were very accessible and helpful.”
“Every day of the training was accompanied by a list of discoveries that I could directly design solutions for into my site. I was able to bring these designed solutions home with me and kickoff multiple optimization projects that I am confident will affect the site in a positive way, both in usability and conversion. Being able to have Christian and Lauryn from Baymard Institute look over my shoulder and give me feedback and direction based on the 28,000 hours of independent research that their organization has done was incredibly helpful.”
“At the beginning you may think that the course is a bit pricey. But on the first day you realize how underestimated it is. The value you get every single day is huge. And if you implement even 1% of that information - you'll cover the cost of the course multiple times. This is the only UX ecommerce course you need.”
“If you're a UX designer and you're looking for a boost in your professional career, this course is like rocket fuel. Not only was each day packed with years of usability insight but it was presented in the most easy to consume manner. I'm humbled by the UX wisdom at the Baymard and extremely grateful to have been a part of this workshop.”
“Baymard's UX training week was invaluable. Christian presented the company's vast research in an organized and digestible format that encouraged actionable takeaways. I can't wait to share these learnings with my colleagues!”
“Absolutely superb training! I'm genuinely impressed with how much I learned in 5 days. I would highly recommend this training to anyone who wants to learn how to create state of art e-commerce user experiences.”
“Baymard's workshop was engaging, informative, well paced and full of all kinds of applicable UX nuggets. I left the workshop with a list of actionable insights to share with my product team. 10 out of 10 would recommend and sign up for again!”
“The UX training course with Baymard is something I wish I had the opportunity to do many years ago. It is a subject matter that everyone who touches any process of website development should know first-hand. Christian did an excellent job at explaining the many guidelines and made it easy to take-in a large amount of comprehensive information without feeling overwhelmed.”
“Thank you. This was an excellent piece of work: professional, thorough, and actionable for the team. We're very happy with the work Baymard has done for us so far, and I hope we'll have the chance to work together again on future projects.”
“Baymard produces some of the most relevant and actionable user experience research available. They really understand the needs of UX and Product Management professionals, and their deep experience in the eCommerce field allows them to offer sophisticated, nuanced insights.”
“Thank you for a great workshop with good insights and points of action for checkouts. Looking forward to follow your research going forward”
“Baymard’s UX for ecommerce workshop is an intense week of data-driven, applied research which will give you the tools and insight to vastly improve your ecommerce user experience and sales performance. Having attended this course with the intent to make informed designs and decisions when revising the core areas of our website this year, my confidence has increased threefold. Christian demonstrated a deep understanding of the subject areas covered and great expertise while conducting this training which allowed for personalised guidance towards real world projects which is invaluable.”
“I just wanted to reach out to you personally and commend you for hosting a terrific course. It’s quite seldom I find myself learning quite as much and gaining so many new perspectives in such a short period of time. So please keep up the good work and keep on inspiring other fellow UX practitioners!”
“Baymard has been a great resource in helping us improve the customer experience. We are continually applying these best practices to our sites.”
“This was indeed very helpful guidance and a very well-documented roadmap for us to fix, validate, organize, collectively understand and continually improve our ecommerce foundation.”
“Damn. The reports that the @Baymard folks do cost money, but they're worth it.”
“Thanks again for the great work on our checkout project. Our whole group found it incredibly insightful. We’re applying the suggestions you provided to our new checkout design which launches at the end of the month! One of my colleagues was also interested in your group’s competitive expertise with regard to responsive web and native apps.”
“I can confirm that the list was fully implemented. Every time we put up a change we either A/B test or we watch it very closely to determine that it's doing better and not the opposite. So I can confirm that these fixes have improved our checkout. Thanks for everything.”
“We implemented “E-Commerce Checkout Usability” guide for all our stores and saw doubling of checkout conversion rates. We will soon work on implementation of other usability guidelines. Thank you Christian and Jamie for your excellent work!”
“This is very, very useful! Let me check what we can do to improve the usability in the Smashing Shop.”
“I really like the work Baymard Institute does around usability. Their articles often get my Ecom gears turning.”
“I can not tell you how much help your benchmark studies have been for our company, e-commerce and UX teams. We have used and continue to use these reports for baseline benchmarks as we build test protocols or eye tracking scripts etc. in lab.”
“These reports are fabulous. The content is exactly what our team has been looking for, and so much more! Extremely helpful, thank you!”
“Excellent tool – looking forward to using it with our other sites and prototypes as they’re developed.”